Attendance 61 plus chair.
1. Welcome and Introduction – David M chaired this plenary.
2. Training for future BiCon Organisers
There was a proposal to use BiCon money to fund training for future BiCon organisers. This training would particularly focus on passing on knowledge about: access, accounts and budgeting, publicity and marketing, inclusivity for under-represented groups, and admin, including creating year-on-year documentation.
Trainers and materials would be paid for, as well as costs for attenders, and the overall cost was estimated at between £3,000 and £6,000.
The intention was that this should be available to newer potential organisers, and that BiCon organisers shouldn't be required to do it. Passed unanimously
3. Guideline changes about smoking (first year – will be brought back to 2016).
If the changes are confirmed in 2016, guideline B17 will read:
'All outdoor space at BiCon, with the exception of designated smokers' areas, will be non-smoking – this includes electronic cigarettes or similar devices. Smoking areas should be advertised clearly. BiCon teams should make efforts to ensure that smoking areas exist and are accessible to those who wish to use them.'
4. BiCon Continuity Report
BiCon Continuity Ltd gave a report.
The full written report is on the BiCon Continuity Ltd web site. Passed with one abstention.
Authority of BiCon Continuity around BiCon teams and money management between DMPs
BiCon Continuity Ltd asked for the power and authority to deal with substantial requests for money received from potential teams who have formed since the last DMP, and who have therefore not yet had a chance to take their proposal to a DMP.
They also clarified that they reserved the right not to pass money to teams who couldn't satisfy them that the team had a workable budget, although this would very much be a last resort. Passed with one abstention.
Future BiCon Proposals
- 2016 – proposed for Preston with a team headed by Kate G. Passed unanimously
- 2017 – proposal for possibly Leeds Trinity, with a team assembled by David M. Passed unanimously
- 2018 – proposed for Manchester with a team headed by Dave Dawes and Katie Sutton, probably associated with BiReCon. Passed: for 60, Against 1, No abstentions